Like humans, your dog and cat can get a skin condition. If they appear to be itching or are losing their hair, your pet may have a dermatology problem. An integrative vet can help diagnose and treat your pet for their skin rash or other skin condition they may have. Look for a veterinarian in Walker Valley, NY, and call Walker Valley Veterinary Hospital for an appointment.
Allergies in Pets
Allergies are a common skin condition for cats and dogs. Allergies can be caused by:
- • fleas or other insects
- • pollen
- • dust mites
- • mold spores
- • food
- An integrative veterinarian will focus on nutrition, the foundation of health. By switching to a much less processed food, many health issues (especially dermatology) magically disappear.
We are very excited to be offering regenerative medicine where we harvest stem cells from your pet’s fat cells. These stem cells can then be given IV to reprogram the immune system which can, in some cases, eliminate allergies!
Flea and food allergies are easy to deal with. Your veterinarian can prescribe a topical or oral medication to treat these types of allergies. Pollen allergies are a little more challenging to treat and may require allergy testing.
We are very excited to be offering regenerative medicine where we harvest stem cells from your pet’s fat cells. These stem cells can then be given intravenously to reprogram the immune system which can, in some cases, eliminate allergies!
Mange in Dogs and Cats
Mange is another skin condition that can be common in your pet. They are caused by an imbalance in their immune system or could be hereditary. There are two forms of mange:
- • Demodex Mange: caused by Demodex mites that live deep in the skin. Demodex is easy to locate with scraping.
- • Sarcoptic Mange: caused by sarcoptic mites that live on the surface, called scabies in humans. It is infectious and can be transferred between animals and humans.
The mange can either be localized in one area of the skin, causing small hair loss spots. A more severe form of mange can affect the entire body. It not only causes hair loss but could cause redness, oozing, crusts, and thickened skin.
Other Skin Conditions
The other skin conditions that your pet can suffer from include:
- • Ear Infection: caused by excessive moisture from swimming, ear mites, or allergies
- • Fungal Infection: the most common cause is ringworm
- • Immune Disorder: like an autoimmune disease that may require lifelong treatment to keep your pet healthy
- • Staph Infection: Symptoms include a skin rash and tender skin.
Make Your Annual Vet Appointment
If you believe your pet is enduring any of these skin conditions, you should visit your local Walker Valley, NY vet today. A veterinarian can help diagnose and treat your pet, so they no longer suffer from itchiness or rash. Call Walker Valley Veterinary Hospital today to schedule your wellness visit.